Metapán

The city of Metapan used to be occupied by Pipiles, descendant from pre-Columbian Chortis. Its name means "River of Magueyes".

Metapan has the biggest territorial extension in El Salvador: 668 km2. There are many important touristic places, such as a cloud forest, lakes and lagoons.

In the city surroundings is one of the best colonial churches in the country: the Temple of San Pedro Apostle, which began to be built in 1736 and finished in 1743; it was just recently restored. Metapan celebrates its patron saint festivities June 26 - 29.

There are also many mines of steel, copper, gold, silver and zinc, but most important of them all is their production of limestone used for making cement.

Geologically, Metapan is located in the oldest area of El Salvador, which makes up for its three types of rock formations: sedimentary Mesozoic: oldest rocks of the Jurassic era, cretaceous quartz conglomerates, limestone, etc.; formation intrusive oligo-miocénico where metamorphic contact occurred.

Here is where the northern volcanic chain tertiary inferior meets the Pleistocene medio which have remained inactive. This range holds the highest mountains in the country: Montecristo, the only cloud forest in El Salvador.

The Jurist doctor Isidro Menéndez was born in Metapan. One of the men involved in the independence movement, (September 21st 1821) and also known as the father of the Salvadorian constitution. He died in Ahuachapán victim of the disease "cholera morbid" on December 1858.

© 2005 Tourism in El Salvador